1) For the money
2) To grow and be challenged
3) To fulfill your vocation/calling
4) For the impact you can make
5) For the reputation
6) To be recognized
7) To be part of something bigger than yourself
8) To solve interesting problems
9) For the joy/pleasure of doing the work
Instructure calls these Career Drivers. They are why we do what we do. Every time you think about work, these are, most likely, the factors at work. The first point gets all the attention, but it’s the other items on this list that explain why people quit, get let go, start something on their own, feel satisfied or frustrated at work.
Understand what’s driving your career. #1 won’t mean much to you if you are missing out on #2 through #9.