While reading The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone, I found myself raising an eyebrow out of skepticism about 10% of the time. However, I also realized that much of this book had me nodding my head the other 90%.
As you can imagine, the book is all about taking massive action in order to achieve massive success. It's that same message over and over again. Granted, there is much criticism with this book. It does, at times, seem like Mr. Cardone's answer to everything in life is to just take more action. But there are still some valuable takeaway's that can help anyone change their mindset about how they look at reaching their goals. And, in the end, that's what this kind of book is about. It's less about concrete lessons and more about just trying to change how you look at things. Grant takes things to the extreme. It's difficult to believe him, at times, but you can't help but feel motivated to do more and work harder. Which, I think, was his ultimate goal in writing this.
Here are a few of my takeaways:
1) Take massive action. In other words, look for ways you can create and make rather than wasting your time trying to find ways to save. Expand your efforts, don't contract. Contracting is a losers' mentality. Here's the thing, you're probably not doing enough. Your goals are too small, commitments too weak, and amount of action too little. The world has taught you to be conservative. That setting 'realistic goals' is the way to go. But setting these kinds of goals is a form of retreating. What might seem like an obstacle, is actually the way. Eat your fears. Set massive goals. Overcommit, even. When something seems undoable, start taking action right away before you can start overthinking things. Take massive action quickly and it will seem like you are fearless.
2) Being obsessed is good. Look up the definition of 'obsessed.' Children are obsessed. It's what helps them learn at a rapid rate. It's what keeps them curious. Quit thinking in terms of either/or and start thinking in terms of all and everything. Successful people think in terms of “all,” whereas unsuccessful people tend to place limits on themselves. They may believe that “If I am rich, I can't be happy” or “If I thrive in my career, then I won't have time to be a good father, husband, or spiritual individual.” In fact, it's interesting to notice that the people who put limits on what is available to them are also most inclined to talk about “balance.” However, this is a flawed manner of thinking that neither time management nor balance will resolve. Most people only work enough so that it feels like work, whereas successful people work at a pace that gets such satisfying results that work is a reward. Truly successful people don't even call it work; for them, it's a passion. Why? Because they do enough to win! An easy way to achieve balance is to simply work harder while you are at the office. This won't just leave you with more time; it will allow you to experience the rewards of your job and make it feel less like work and more like success. Try to take this approach: Be grateful to go to work, and see how much you can get done in the time you have. Make it a race, a challenge—make it fun.